Dan Patterson, President of the Lakin USD #215 Board of Education, along with 26 other public education leaders from across Kansas have been selected to participate in the KASB Leadership for Tomorrow Class of 2019. The class includes board members and administrators in addition to a KASB staff attorney selected for this year’s class.
Participants are nominated to apply and are chosen through an application process that focuses on individual leadership in Kansas public education and participation in activities that promote effective governance and raise student achievement.
“This year’s leadership class is a great mix of board members, district and building-level administrators from all across the state, large and small districts, suburban and rural,” said Dr. John Heim, KASB executive director. “They are all leaders in their home districts and communities. This program provides opportunities to learn from each other and visit other districts to gain ideas they can use in their own districts.”
Leadership for Tomorrow gives board members, superintendents and administrators time to explore change theories and strategies, participate in leadership skill training and expand understanding of education key issues. Through five two-day sessions, the class will visit local schools, hear classroom presentations and participate in class discussions of issues and challenges facing Kansas education. Topics include:
- Enhancing leadership capacity at the local, state and national levels.
- Gaining understanding of key education issues through onsite visits and presentations by local staff and community leaders.
- Exploring education change theories, current state education initiatives and potential local impact.
- Expanding skills for effective in communications and advocacy.
KASB Leadership for Tomorrow Class of 2019
- Dr. Kellen Adams, El Dorado USD 490 Assistant Superintendent
- Dane Baxa, Goddard USD 265 Director of Community Relations
- Bill Biermann, Goodland USD 352 Superintendent
- Steve Blankenship, Pratt USD 382 High School Principal
- Dorsey Burgess, South Haven USD 509 Superintendent
- Jurdene Coleman, Manhattan-Ogden USD 383 Board of Education
- Troy Damman, Erie Galesburg USD 101 Superintendent
- Julie Dandreo, Ottawa USD 290 Board of Education
- Samrie Devin, Lawrence USD 497 Director of Human Resources
- Miranda Dinkel, Fredonia USD 484 Board of Education
- Raquel Greer, Mulvane USD 263 Assistant Superintendent
- Keith Griffin, Seaman USD 345 Board of Education
- Max Heinrichs, Durham-Hillsboro-Lehigh USD 410 Superintendent
- Amy Hoover, Washington County USD 108 Elementary School Principal
- Troy Keiswetter, Concordia USD 333 High School Principal
- Jill Lachenmayr, Andover USD 385 Assistant Superintendent
- Jannette Luthi, Madison-Virgil USD 386 Board of Education
- Dr. Stephanie McNemar, Colby USD 315 High School Principal
- Dr. Micky Painter, Pittsburg USD 250 Board of Education
- Dan Patterson, Lakin USD 215 Board of Education
- Dr. Mark Schmidt, Blue Valley USD 229 Assistant Superintendent
- Luke Sobba, KASB Staff Attorney
- Carrie Sowers, Atchison USD 409 Board of Education
- Tracy Springer, Jayhawk USD 346 Board of Education
- Roger Stumpf, Southeast of Saline USD 306 Superintendent
- Tammy Thomasson, Paola USD 368 Assistant Superintendent
- Matt Ward, Augusta USD 402 Superintendent
Through five two-day sessions, the KASB Leadership for Tomorrow program creates a greater understanding of the Kansas public education system and provides opportunities to develop leadership skills for effective governance and raising student achievement. Lakin USD #215 will be host to one of the meetings for the Leadership for Tomorrow Class in September.